Blog sobre mis Clases de Guitarra / Blog about my Guitar Lessons

My photo
Alicante, Alicante, Spain

Sunday 25 December 2011

December Blog (English)





Hello!








Here I am again to share some of the contents I've taught to my students lately.


"Santa Claus Is Coming To Town" (Michael Bublé's version) 


For obvious reasons, some students requested to learn some Christmas Carols this month.

Whenever I theach one of these songs, I like to use an artist's version as a reference. That way, I can get some ideas from the arrangement, instead of just teaching the chord sequence.

The arrangement of this one in paticular seemed very cool to me, so I decided to write an arrangement for just one guitar.

The first part of the video I've uploaded it's me playing along with the actual song. The second part is jut me and the metronome. 


I couldn't hear very well the song and the metronome while I was doing the recording (I was kind of guessing it), so my timing isn't great. I hope you enjoy it anyway.

The transcription is available at 

joemoreg.com


I've just realized that audio and image are a little out of sync here. I would recommend you to watch it in youtube (just click on the youtube icon on the bottom right corner of the video below).


 





"How Insensitive" (A.C. Jobim)


I've uploaded the notes I made for Cleide, one of my students at Da Cappo music academy in Alicante. She's learning this melody, and I though some analysis and a fretboard map would help her.


The melody has four parts.
The two notes circled will repeat four or two times.
The single note circled is a note in between to sections.
The rectangle is a phrase with more than two notes.
A vertical line indicates there's a semitone.
A diagonal line indicates the same notes is used to finish a phrase and to start another.

I've included a fretboard map and the fingering, in case you can't read the standard notation.

Some melodies have a certain "shape". If you realize that, learning and memorizing a tune is a lot easier.

Listen to Wes Montgomery's version, which is in the same key.

If you want to save in you computer any of these sheets, just right click over the image and choose "save image as".








You can also play it on the first position, near fret one.







There's a backing track in this website:
http://ralphpatt.com/Backing%20track/How%20Insensitive%20%20140.mp3




"One" (U2)


I did this easy arrangement for one of my students. He wanted to play the Intro of the song with just one guitar. The original version, and most of the tutorials I've seen, require two guitars.
I tried to record this video with my laptop's webcam, and the quality isn't great, but I believe it will help you to get an idea of how it sounds and which fingers to use.














I hope you've learned something from this blog. Please let me know if you got any doubt or suggestion.

Happy Christmas and Happy New Year!

Jose



Guitar Lessons in Palma (Majorca) - Clases de Guitarra en Palma (Mallorca)
Online Lessons also available - También disponibles Clases Online


No comments:

Post a Comment